Friday, June 24, 2005

3-month doctor visit

...and more shots, how fun.
Today was my 3-month doctor visit. I was 11lbs 9ozs and 23 3/4 inches. I'm still in the 50th percentile - average isn't bad. We saw a different doctor today - Dr. Kohn. Mommy & I didn't really like her all that much. She made Mommy feel inadequate. She seemed surprised that Mommy wasn't using a supplement besides breastmilk - but said I'm gaining enough weight so it isn't necessary. I think it was the way she asked the question that sounded condescending. She said I was healthy, and gave Mommy information for solid food feeding. Apparently she felt I should start solids next month. However, Mommy got upset because the information sheet stated:

WHEN IS BABY READY FOR SOLIDS?
- Doubles birth weight and weighs at least 13 pounds.
- Seems hungry after 8 - 10 breastfeedings a day or drinks 32 ounces of formula a day.
- Lifts and supports head.

I have to weigh 15 pounds before I double my birth weight, and I don't think I'll be gaining that much in one month. I'm never hungry after I breast feed. Mommy makes lots of milk. However, I can lift and support my head. But I've been able to do this for a month now (yay me). So Mommy is not too happy about starting solids. Unless she is convinced otherwise. She needs to talk to friends and ANOTHER doctor before making a decision.

Mommy asked if Dr. Kahn was a new doctor at the office, but thankfully she just fills in when others are on vacation. Phew! She didn't even know what vaccines I was supposed to have today - there is a chart...you'd think she'd know it. I gave her nasty looks (Daddy calls them surely) and said nasty things to her (but they came out as grunts)...and then she left the room. I had to get two shots - Polio (IPV) and Pnemococcal Conjugate (whatever). The first shot was really easy...I didn't even flinch. The second one hurt a bit...I cried...but not that long (maybe 30 seconds). Mommy has a fear of shots, and she is doing her best to have me grow up not having that same fear. GO MOMMY! We left after that and Mommy cried the whole way home. She really didn't like that doctor. I have to agree. Dr. Marcus and Dr. Jackie are really great. Mommy called the office back and found out that a new doctor is starting next month - Dr. AJ - and he wants to meet all the patients, so we'll meet him next time. So Mommy is going to give Dr. AJ a chance. If he doesn't meet her standards, then she is going to request we only see Dr. Marcus or Dr. Jackie. And if that isn't possible, she's going to go to another office.

My Mommy loves me very much :)

No comments: